This is a guide to accompany our sermon series on Sexual Wholeness. In it you will find reflection & discussion questions, passages of scripture and additional resources to help you have conversations with your small group, friends and family as we process together what the Holy Spirit is saying to us about this important topic. If you haven’t already watched the sermon you can do so below, or you can find it under the Media tab on our website.
Sexual Wholeness Pt 2 – Sex with Sin
We must humbly bring our OWN sin and brokenness to God The closer you draw to Him the more aware you become of your own sinfulness – and His grace.
- Why is it tempting to stick to having opinions about sexuality issues?
- Why would it be so important to start with recognizing and dealing with our own sin?
There are 3 stories in the Gospels where we see Jesus interacting with someone about their sexual brokenness. Read and discuss the following passages:
- What do these passages show us about Jesus? About people? The women involved?
- What is significant about what is important to Jesus when it comes to our sexual struggles?
- What can we learn about the way Jesus sees the scars of our sexual brokenness?
- What does His voice sound like when He speaks to our sexual sin? What two messages are always present?
- Are there ways you see yourself in these women? What lessons can we take from them?
All of us need a friend that we can be ‘100%’ with. A friend with whom you can be transparent about your struggles and who represents the voice of Jesus to you.
- Have you experienced a friendship like this? How was it helpful to you? What qualities are present in them?
- Who is someone that you think might be able to be a 100% friend? Is there a step you could take toward finding this person?
Jesus sees you He really sees you – every part, and he claims you.
- What is the Holy Spirit showing you about your own sexual brokenness?
- Where do you need courage in pursuing your sexual wholeness?
- What is He asking you to trust Him with?
For further resources about sexual wholeness check out our Resource Center in the Gathering Place. Many of these have been curated for this series especially.
We also recommend the following:
- Surfing for God by John M. Cusick
- The Freedom Fight by Ted Shimer
- Unwanted by Jay Stringer
- Understanding Sexual Identity by Mark Yarhouse
- Understanding Gender Dysphoria by Mark Yarhouse
- It’s Great to Be a Guy by Dannah Gresh and Jarrod Sechler
- It’s Great to Be a Girl by Dannah Gresh and Suzy Weibel
- God’s Design for Sex book series by Stan and Brenna Jones and Carolyn Nystrom
- Good Pictures Bad Pictures and Good Pictures Bad Pictures Junior by Kristen Jenson
- Redeeming Sex by Deb Hirsch
- Love is an Orientation by Andrew Marin
- The Soul of Shame by Curt Thompson
- Axis.org weekly Culture Translator email